Monday, May 19, 2014

Anticipation: The Cameroon Saga Part 1

So this is it friends. Tomorrow I leave for my 10 week immersion in Cameroon. To say that I am excited would be an understatement, but as with most things, excitement is always accompanied by a little bit of nervousness. However, I truly believe that the last 16 years of my education have prepared me for this summer.


I was reflecting on just how much my education influenced my decision to apply for ETHOS in the first place. Between traveling to and hosting a student from Germany and the amount of studies about geography and different cultures in Grade School and the amount of traveling I got to do through Intercession in high school, I simply cannot imagine not traveling in college. It is also my Marianist, Catholic education that told me that the next time I traveled, it needed to be an experience where I could live in community with others and come to at least partially understand a culture completely different from my own, while also getting to do a little bit of good. My education has molded me to become a citizen diplomat.





I have always been taught that in order to really understand the world around me, that I must step outside my own comfort zone and outside of my own back yard. I know that will happen on this trip. I am fully confident that I will come back not only with some technical skills, but with the understanding that what is different is not frightening but an opportunity to learn and challenge ourselves.


I am more than certain that this summer is going to simply fly by, and that Jose, Alyssa, Chinedum and I are going to have the time of our lives. If you want to learn more about the ETHOS program or donate to our cause in Cameroon please visit http://www.udayton.edu/engineering/ethos/#1. (If you are donating you have to scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click the "Give Now" button and enter my name in the comment box.)


Hopefully Weekly Updates to Come!

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment